These BBQ Venison Sandwiches are so easy to make. You need a venison roast, some barbecue sauce, a few pantry ingredients, and your slow cooker!
- 1 (2-4lb) venison roast
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup beer or beef/venison stock
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- buns of choice, for serving
- pickles, for serving
- Start by letting the roast come to room temperature for 30 minutes before you sear it (if you can). This helps create a nice crust on the sear you’ll perform by ensuring the meat heats evenly. Then, pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Next, heat a skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil. Once hot, sear the roast on all sides until a nice, brown crust has formed. Take your time – this could take 15-20 minutes.
- Then, place your seared roast into the bottom of a slow cooker. Cover it with the onions, garlic, barbecue sauce, beer or stock, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 8 hours on low or until the meat is literally falling apart. If it is too tough to pull apart, it needs more time. Shred the meat with forks.
- To serve, pull some out, place it on a bun, add more barbecue sauce, and top with pickles. Enjoy!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: venison, BBQ, barbecue, slow cooker, crock pot