Throw together this healthy elk taco salad when you want to use up some ground elk or venison meat. The paleo, homemade taco seasoning makes wild game taste amazing.
For the elk taco meat:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground elk (or venison*)
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 3 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
For the taco salad:
- about 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- elk taco meat
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup corn (canned, frozen, fresh – whatever works!)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 jalapenos, sliced (optional)
- about 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- about 1/3 cup Healthy Taco Lime Greek Yogurt Dressing or dressing of choice
- any other taco ingredients you love!!!
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Brown the elk and then add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Add the water and cook down for 5-8 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Divide the lettuce evenly between 4 bowls, or make one large salad.*
- Top each bowl or the large bowl with the elk meat, tomatoes, corn, avocado, jalapenos, tortilla chips, and dressing. Serve!
- You can directly replace venison for elk. If you’re using beef, turkey or bison, reduce the apple cider vinegar to 1 teaspoon.
- This is a great meal to meal prep! Assemble individual salads and top with dressing and tortilla chips when ready to serve!