Chewy, gluten-free derby pie oatmeal cookies come together with brown butter, bourbon, and chocolate chunks.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 cup oat flour – process whole oats in a food processor or high powered blender until fine
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup chocolate chunks (more depending on your preference)
- Add the butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Let it melt, bubble up and brown.
- Just when it browns and you see toasty flecks floating in the liquid, carefully add the bourbon, let it bubble and remove from the heat. Set this aside and let it come to room temperature. You can pop it in the fridge if you need to.
- While the bourbon butter cools, mix together the oat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt with a whisk or fork in a separate bowl.
- When the bourbon butter has cooled, add it to a bowl with the coconut sugar. Beat together.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and the vanilla.
- Fold in the dry oat mixture, pecans, and chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough into balls, using about 1 Tbsp. per ball.
- Place the dough balls in the freezer overnight, or for up to a few months.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 10-12 minutes. Enjoy!
*you can freeze these and bake as needed! If you want to bake the whole batch at once or just one at a time for a sweet treat, go for it!