A classic banana cream pie recipe with gluten free crust, velvety banana cream pie filling and a dairy free whipped topping option.
For the crust:
- 1 and 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 10 Tbsp. melted, grass fed butter or coconut oil
For the banana cream filling:
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk (the canned kind)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 Tbsp. grass fed butter or coconut oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
For the whipped cream topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (or 15 oz. coconut cream for dairy free)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 banana, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Then, add all of the crust ingredients to a large bowl and mix together well. The mixture should stick together but feel moist.
- Press the crust into a 9 inch pie plate or tart pan (I think a tart pan is easier). Pierce a few holes into the crust with a fork and slide it into the oven.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown. Let the crust cool a bit on a wire rack while you assemble the filling.
- In a large, thick-bottomed pot, add the coconut milk, coconut sugar, egg yolks, and cornstarch. Whisk together and set the pot over medium-low heat.
- Stir the filling constantly and remove it from the heat as soon as it starts to thicken and bubble. This happens in about 4-8 minutes, so really watch the pot.
- Once the pot is removed from the heat, stir in the mashed banana, butter or coconut oil, sea salt and vanilla.
- To assemble the pie, lay the banana slices from the second banana on the bottom of the pre-baked pie shell. Then, pour the filling over top.
- Wrap the pie in plastic wrap and slide it into the fridge to cool for at least 4 hours.
- When you’re ready to serve, whip together the cream, powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream all over the pie and top with the remaining banana slices. Serve!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pie, banana cream pie, healthy baking