Crock Pot Pork Carnitas Tacos are the easy, Whole30 approved way to have carnitas without any effort. Make tonight taco night!!
- 1 Tbsp. of olive oil
- 4lb. pork shoulder (*see notes)
- 1 cup of unsalted chicken bone broth or broth
- 1 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes -unsalted
- 1 6 oz can of tomato paste – unsalted
- 1 lime – zest + juice
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 + 1/2 tsp. sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp. of chili powder
- 1 tsp. of cayenne pepper powder
- 1 head of lettuce – I like Butter or Romaine lettuce
- Optional toppings – tomato, avocado, cilantro, red onion, nutritional yeast
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot (flick a drop of water into the pan to see if it sizzles), place the pork down in the pan. If the meat won’t fit in the pan, cut in half – it’s ok to sear in two batches, it won’t take long. Remove when each side has a nice brown color to it, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Place the seared pork in the bottom of your slow cooker and add all other ingredients besides the lettuce.
- Let this cook for 8 hours on low (or 4 hours on high).
- Pull the pork apart with forks, and scoop into sturdy lettuce pieces. Fold up, and enjoy!
- This recipe is very forgiving. I have made it with pork shoulder and very thick pork chops. The chops won’t be as juicy but it still works!
- Always feel free to go up in flavor and salt. You can always add but you can’t take away. This works well for us, however!
- Serving Size: 3 tacos
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 516 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 18 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 13 g
- Cholesterol: 147 mg