This easy to make S’mores Pie takes rich chocolate filling in a baked, buttery graham cracker crust and tops it with toasted, fluffy marshmallows.
For the crust:
- 8 graham cracker sheets or 1 and 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 Tbsp. melted ghee (or butter if you’re not dairy free)
- 1/4 cup coconut or brown sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
For the filling:
- 1 + 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 3 cups full fat coconut milk
- 4 egg yolks, whisked
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 tsp. instant coffee
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 (tiny) pinch chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- about 10 marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350F. You’ll need a standard 9-inch pie plate.
- Break the graham cracker sheets into fine crumbs by using a food processor, or by placing the sheets in a plastic bag and pounding them with a rolling pin.
- Mix the crumbs with the melted ghee and coconut/brown sugar. If you’re using a food processor, you can use that to incorporate.
- Dump the crust mixture into the pie plate and press down firmly, pushing the crumbs up the sides to create a packed crust.
- Bake the crust for 12-15 minutes, until just golden and fragrant.
- To make the filling, combine the sugar, arrowroot powder, coconut milk, and egg yolks in a medium saucepan (do not place on the stove yet). Whisk together well.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat for about 5-8 minutes, just until the mixture reaches a boil, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate, 2 teaspoons of the vanilla, instant coffee, sea salt, cinnamon, chili powder, and butter. Whisk together until silky.
- Pour the custard into the cooled and baked pie shell.
- Let it cool to room temperature on the counter, and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours until set and cold.
- When you’re ready to serve, cut the marshmalllows in half. Arrange them, cut side down, on the pie.
- Place the pie on the middle rack of the oven and turn the oven to lo broil. Watch CAREFULLY and let the broiler toast the marshmallows for 1-2 minutes. These can burn in an instant so be careful*.
- If you should happen to burn the marshmallows, don’t fret. Pick them off and start again. If the pie is still cool, they should slide right off (not that I would know from experience a time or two *wink, wink*)
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking/Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 514
- Sugar: 41 g
- Sodium: 153 mg
- Fat: 30 g
- Saturated Fat: 22 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 62 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 82 mg
Keywords: s'mores, pie, chocolate, dessert, graham cracker, sweet treats