This classic stuffing recipe uses sourdough bread and is full of flavor from cranberries and apples. You need it on your Thanksgiving or Holiday table!
- 1 (8 oz) Specialty Selected Sliced Sourdough Round, cubed
- 6 Tbsp. Simply Nature Organic Butter, divided
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 2 Mild Italian Sausage Links, with the casing removed (optional)
- 2 apples, cored and diced (I used 1 Granny Smith, 1 Gala)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup Southern Grove Dried Cranberries
- 3 cups Simply Nature Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 Simply Nature Organic Cage Free Brown Eggs
- 2 Tbsp. roughly chopped sage leaves (or 2 tsp. dried and ground)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, minced (or 1 tsp. dried)
- leaves from 5 fresh thyme sprigs (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- When the bread is cubed, lay it on a large baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the cubes are nice and crunchy/hard. They shouldn’t be too toasted, just firm to the touch. You want to dry them out so the stuffing doesn’t get too soggy. Once done, transfer them to a large bowl.
- While the bread toasts, add 4 tablespoons of the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and celery and sautè for about 7 minutes.
- Then, add the sausage links, if using, and brown for an additional 5 minutes. Next, add the apples and garlic. Sautè until the apples start to soften, about an additional 5 minutes.
- Once the apple mixture has cooked, add it along with the cranberries to the bowl with the bread.
- Whisk together the broth, eggs, rosemary, sage, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl and pour over the stuffing mixture, making sure everything is coated evenly.
- Pour the stuffing mixture into a large baking dish (I used a 9x13inch) and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes with the foil on and 10-15 with it off, or until the stuffing is golden brown.
- Cool until warm and serve!
- This recipe works with or without the sausage
- If you have a smaller group, this recipe works well halved. Additionally, if you have a large crowd, simply double the recipe or multiply to your needs.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 567
- Sugar: 16 g
- Sodium: 1208 mg
- Fat: 36 g
- Saturated Fat: 16 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 23 g
- Cholesterol: 152 mg
Keywords: stuffing, Thanksgiving, sourdough