You will go crazy for the flavor of these spicy fermented carrots! They’re so easy to make, and quite addictive. The perfect, easy fermentation project.
- pint-sized glass jar with a lid (I use a nonreactive lid)
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. peppercorns
- 1 small cinnamon stick (optional, but I’d really reccomend using it)*
- about 3 carrots, peeled sliced into sticks
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 3–4 fresh jalapeno slices, with the seeds for spicy
- filtered water
- Start by adding the salt, pepper flakes and peppercorns to the glass jar. Then, add in the cinnamon stick.
- Then, continue by arranging the carrot sticks in the glass jar so that they’re all facing upright. Sometimes, I find it helpful to lay the jar down so I can stack the carrots on top of eachother.
- Then, with the jar standing upright, add the garlic cloves and jalapeno slices.
- Add filtered water until all of the carrot sticks are covered, they should all be submerged in liquid.
- Screw a lid on the jar, I use one of these nonreactive, plastic ones, and shake it up to distribute the spices. Before leaving the jar to ferment, open it again to make sure that the carrots are all covered in the liquid, and screw the lid on.
- Let the carrots ferment at room temperature for 5-7 days. You’ll start to see little bubbles rising to the top of the jar in about 2 days. About once a day after that, unscrew the lid a bit to “burp” the jar or release some of the pressure. Make sure to screw it back on when you’re finished.
- After 5-7 days, transfer the jar to the fridge and eat! These will stay good for 2-3 months in the fridge.
- I know the cinnamon stick sounds weird, but it’s delicious. Only use a whole cinnamon stick here, ground cinnamon will not do.
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Fermentation
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: about 4 carrot sticks
- Calories: 31
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 361 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: carrots, fermented, spicy