Whole30 Taco Skillet Pie combines all of the ingredients for the best taco filling into a savory cashew crust. Get creative with the toppings!
For the crust:
- 1 + 1/2 cup cashews or almonds*
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup melted ghee
- 1 tsp. salt
For the filling:
- 1 lb. ground beef*
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced and deseeded (leave the seeds if you like heat)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 14.5 oz can fire roasted, diced tomatoes
- 1 – 6oz. can tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional – spice lovers only)
- Optional toppings: lettuce, tomato, nutritional yeast, cheese (if not Whole30), sour cream/Greek yogurt (if not Whole30), avocado
- Add the nuts into a food processor with the coconut flour, egg whites, and salt.
- Pulse until the nuts break down. Add the melted ghee and process until it forms a ball. If you’re using pre-made cashew or almond meal, simply mix everything together well in a bowl.
- Press the dough into the bottom of an 8-inch skillet, or a pie plate. Push the dough up the sides until a nice crust is formed. You don’t need the crust to go all the way up the side, though.
- Place the skillet or pie plate into the fridge while you make the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and saute the onions, bell pepper, and jalapenos.
- When the onions are translucent, after about 6 minutes, add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, and beef. When the beef has browned, add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and stir well to combine. Simmer for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Remove the pie plate from the fridge, and scoop the taco filling in.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove, let cool, slice and top with desired toppings!
- if you don’t have a food processor use 1 + 1/4 c. almond meal. Grab some almond meal at the store and just mix the crust in a bowl
- I’ve tested this recipe with ground bison and ground turkey. I’m sure ground venison would be lovely, as well.
- If you don’t have a skillet, a standard, 9in pie plate will work just fine.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 499
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 694mg
- Fat: 34g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 25g
- Cholesterol: 47mg