This Venison Egg Roll In A Bowl recipe is a healthy, fast and flavorful way to use up ground deer meat for a light dinner or meal prep idea.
- 1 lb ground venison
- 1 Tbsp. duck fat, avocado oil, deer/beef tallow or high heat tolerant cooking oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, julienned
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1/2 head of cabbage, sliced (about 6 heaping cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- About 1-inch fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar, optional
- 1/3–1/2 cup soy sauce or coconut aminos (depending on your taste)
- 1 tsp. sesame oil, optional
- Green onions, sesame seeds, sriracha, coconut aminos OR soy sauce mixed with a little honey
- Heat a wok or large pan over medium-high heat and add your cooking oil/fat. Brown the venison for about 8 minutes until cooked, remove from the pan, and set it aside on a plate.
- If needed, add a bit more cooking oil/fat. Add the onion and pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes until the onion starts to soften and become translucent.
- Then, add the cabbage and carrots, stirring frequently. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the cabbage starts to wilt and reduce.
- Then, add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes before adding the cooked venison, orange juice, lime juice, rice wine vinegar (if using), and soy sauce to the pan.
- Still and toss well to combine and cook for an additional 5 minutes (or so) until the cabbage is well cooked and the moisture is absorbed. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sesame oil.
- To serve, top a portion with green onions, sesame seeds, sriracha, and if you’d like, some coconut aminos or soy sauce mixed with a bit of honey (or get creative with toppings!). Enjoy!
- This is the method I follow for making my own duck fat
- You can sub ground beef, elk, moose, bear, antelope or bison (really any red meat) directly with this recipe.
- This recipe keeps well in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container and is excellent for meal prep.
- If you don’t have rice wine vinegar or sesame oil, just omit. They just add extra flavor and won’t totally ruin your recipe if not added.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: egg roll, venison, egg roll in a bowl, wild game