These Venison Short Ribs are braised in a classic red wine and tomato sauce making them tender and delicious. Make your guests fall in love with wild game.
- 2 lbs. Honest Bison Venison Shortribs
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup dry red wine ( I used a Cabernet) – optional, sub broth if desired
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups beef or venison broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- about 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Begin by prepping the shortribs for cooking. I have a hard time removing the silverskin from the back of deer ribs so make a small incision on the back of the ribs between each rib on the meat, not all the way through, just to break the silverskin. This allows the meat to soak up the flavors of the braising liquid and get tender.
- Then, cut them into pieces of 3-4 ribs per chunk instead of cutting them into individual pieces. It will be easier to sear them and fit everything in the pan, but the meat doesn’t overcook too fast.
- Once you have your ribs prepped, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large Dutch oven, or ovenproof skillet over medium high heat.
- Once hot, sear the ribs on each side until they’re truly browned. You may have to work in batches. Set the ribs aside on a place once seared and discard the oil.
- Add the remaining oil into the pot and saute the onions for 5 minutes until they start to brown.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and dried thyme and cook for 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine and apple cider vinegar and then add the broth and tomato sauce.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Add the short ribs back to the pan and make sure they’re all covered with the sauce.
- Place the rosemary on top of the ribs and cover the pan with a lid.
- Slide it into the oven and cook for about 2 hours. The meat should be falling off the bone.
- Serve over polenta, risotto or mashed potatoes!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Mains
- Method: Braising
- Cuisine: French American
- Calories: 360
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 1312 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 41 g
- Cholesterol: 122 mg
Keywords: venison, short ribs, braising