This healthier Venison Stroganoff recipe uses coconut milk and Greek Yogurt for a lighter, but still delicious, take on classic stroganoff with wild game.
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb. ground venison
- 1 pint baby bella mushrooms, destemmed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot powder or tapioca starch
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3–5 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (we like 2% fat, but any will do)
- Egg noodles, gluten free noodles or butternut squash noodles for serving
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until hot.
- Add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, until slightly brown.
- Add the venison and brown, about 8 minutes.
- Next, add the mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, and thyme. Cook for 2 minutes and add the Tapioca starch. Cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Add the wine and apple cider vinegar and scrape up all of the bits at the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for 2 minutes before adding the coconut milk, beef broth, and Worcestershire sauce. Let the mixture come to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the Greek yogurt, stir well to combine, cook for 2 minutes and remove from the heat. Serve with egg noodles, gluten free pasta of choice or butternut squash.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Russian/American
- Serving Size: 1 cup sauce
- Calories: 397
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 614 mg
- Fat: 22 g
- Saturated Fat: 14 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 30 g
- Cholesterol: 311 mg
Keywords: stroganoff, venison, wild game, dinner