This is the best, simple and from-scratch recipe for ground venison tacos. Simple to make and no packets of seasoning from the store needed!
- 1 Tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 lb. ground venison*
- 4–5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- Begin by heating a large pan over medium heat on the stove. Add the oil to the pan and when the oil is hot, add the onion and saute until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Then, add the ground venison and cook until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for an 2 additional minutes before deglazing the pan with the orange juice, lime juice and apple cider vinegar.
- Then, add the water and turn the heat to medium-low. Allow the meat to simmer for 5-10 minutes until the desired texture and moisture level are reached.
- Serve in taco shells, lettuce wraps, burritos, quesadillas, nachos – however you like!
- This recipe will work with elk, beef, antelope, moose, bison, lamb – really any red meat.
- If you’re thawing venison from frozen, try thawing it on a paper towel or drying it with a paper down and discarding old blood before cooking. This helps the meat to taste fresh and not “gamey”.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican American
Keywords: venison, wild game, deer meat, tacos, ground meat, ground venison, mexican