These healthy venison burgers are totally Whole30 compliant. They’re loaded with fresh veggies, topped with homemade special sauce and use grilled sweet potato buns.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup Whole30 compliant mayo (like Primal Kitchen)
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped pickles
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar, divided
- 1 tsp. tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder, divided
- 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 lb. ground venison
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Toppings of choice – lettuce, tomato, onion, etc.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat, or if you’re using a wood pellet grill like a Traeger, preheat to 450F.
- Coat the sweet potato slices with 1 tablespoon of the oil and place them on the indirect upper rack of your grill if you have one. Let them cook for 10 minutes before adding the burgers to the grill. When you put the burgers on, flip them.
- To make the special sauce, in a small bowl mix together the mayo, chopped pickles, 1 teaspoon of the apple cider vinegar, tomato paste, 1/4 teaspoon of the garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Set aside.
- With your hands or a fork, mix together the ground venison, the remaining olive oil, the remaining apple cider vinegar, onion powder, the remaining garlic powder, the remaining salt, and the pepper. Incorporate everything well.
- Divide the ground venison evenly into 4 patties and form into discs.
- Place on the grill for 4-7 minutes a side (you made need to go a bit longer with a wood pellet grill). Remove when the burgers are just at medium, or slightly pink in the middle.
- When the burgers have cooked, remove the sweet potato rounds from the grill. They should be soft.
- To serve, stack the burgers and sweet potato rounds. Drizzle on the special sauce and add the desired toppings. Close everything with a sweet potato round lid.
- Category: Main
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 burger
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 690 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 32 g
- Cholesterol: 380 mg
Keywords: burger, venison, wild game, Traeger, whole30