This apple cranberry pie is the perfect combination of tart, sweet and fruity. It’s best wrapped in buttery, flakey dough with a lattice crust topping.
- 2 unbaked pie crusts – here’s my recipe which makes 2 crusts
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 5–6 cups peeled and sliced apples
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut or brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. arrowroot powder or tapioca starch
- 2 tsp. apple pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- If you’re making your own crust, once your pie crust has been made and it has rested, roll out 1 of the crusts and lay it in a 9-inch pie plate.
- Roll out the other half on a piece of parchment on a flat cookie sheet until it’s about 10 inches in diameter. Place both the pie plate and the cookie sheet in the fridge to rest again while you prepare the filling.
- Juice the lemon and add it to a large bowl. As you peel and slice the apples, add them to the bowl, tosing frequently so they don’t brown.
- Then, mix together the apple slices, cranberries, 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar, brown sugar, arrowroot powder or tapioca starch, apple pie spice, and cinnamon.
- Remove the crusts from the fridge, and pour the apple filling into the pie plate.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut strips of dough out of the rolled out piece of crust on the cookie sheet. Having this dough cold will make it easier to work with.
- Lay half of the strips of dough lengthwise across the pie, evenly spacing between each strip.
- To make the lattice, take the longest remaining piece of dough and lay it across the center of the pie horizontally.
- Lift every other piece of dough running vertically to cover the piece laying horizontally to create a basket weave look. Refer to this post for a photo tutorial.
- Repeat this with each remaining piece of dough until you have a lattice top.
- Trim the excess crust from the edge and pinch the dough together using your fingers or a fork.
- Place the pie on to a cookie sheet with a rim* and slide it into the oven for 15 minutes.
- After the 15 minutes is up, remove the pie from the oven and reset the temperature to 350F. Cover the pie with foil.
- Whisk together the egg and water to make an egg wash.
- Bake for 45 minutes before removing the foil and brushing the egg wash all over the pie. Sprinkle with the remainig sugar and bake for 15 minutes uncovered.
- Let the pie cool for 3-4 hours before serving. Best served with vanilla ice cream and wipped cream!
- this keeps your oven clean if the pie bubbles over during cooking. A great tip for all fruit pies.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 307
- Sugar: 26 g
- Sodium: 216 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 56 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 27 mg
Keywords: pie, apple pie, apple cranberry pie, pie crust, thanksgiving, Christmas, holiday