This is the best bear chili you will ever have and is perfect for using up ground black bear meat. It’s balanced with spices, rich tomato, and veggies.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 lb. ground bear meat (we have black bear)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 12 oz. beer (I use a milk stout, or a lager) – you can sub with beef broth
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes (with the juice)
- 1 (14 oz.) can black beans
- 1 (14 oz.) can pinto beans
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When hot, add the onions and peppers and saute for about 8 minutes, until soft and brown on the edges.
- Add the bear meat to the pan and brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Once the meat is cooked, add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2 additional minutes to let the spices release their flavors.
- Pour in the beer and vinegar and deglaze the pan. Let the alcohol from the beer cook out a bit and let it bubble in the pot for about 5 minutes before adding all of the remaining ingredients.
- Stir everything well to combine and bring the pot to a boil over medium heat.
- Once the chili is boiling, turn the heat down to low, and partially cover the pot with a lid.
- Allow it to simmer for at least 20 minutes, an hour or more is better.
- Serve with any desired chili toppings!