Classic apple pie filling in a flakey tart pastry crust with notes of cinnamon, allspice and cloves drizzled in easy, homemade caramel sauce.
- 1 unbaked pie crust – here’s my recipe that makes 2 crusts
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 large or 4 small appled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. tapioca starch or cornstarch
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice
For the caramel:
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp. butter
To make the tart:
- If you’re making your own crust, go ahead and do so and set the dough in the fridge to chill and rest for 30 minutes before rolling it out while you make the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Add the lemon juice to a large bowl.
- Core and thinly slice the apples and add them to the bowl with the lemon juice, tossing them so they don’t brown.
- Add the sugar, tapioca/cornstarch, and apple pie spice to the apples and mix well so all of the apples are coated.
- Roll out the pie crust and place it into a tart pan, trimming the edges.
- Arrange the apple slices in the tart however you like and make sure to pour the juices from the filling into the tart pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the apples are soft. If the apples start to burn at the tips, cover the pie with foil.
- Remove the pie from the oven and cool on a wire rack before serving.
To make the caramel sauce:
- Add the sugar, water and, salt to a saucepan. Place the saucepan over medium heat – make sure you’re using a burner that’s smaller than the saucepan so that the flames are underneath the pot. This prevents the caramel from burning on the edges.
- Let the sugar dissolve into the pan, this will take about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sugar is dissolved and the mixture starts bubbling, STOP STIRRING* and turn the heat down to medium-low. Let the sugar bubble for another 4-5 minutes until you start to see a golden brown color all over the pan (it should look like caramel)*.
- IMMEDIATELY remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter and cream. This will bubble up but that’s it! You’re done!
- Remove the tart from the tart shell and drizzle on about 1/2-3/4 of the caramel sauce (save the rest for later!).
- Slice & serve!
- You don’t want to stir the caramel once boiling because it loosens bits that may have stuck to the pan and burnt, giving your caramel a burnt flavor.
- If one side of the pan is hotter and starts to brown more quickly, remove the pan from the heat when it’s a dark golden, even if the other side isn’t too deep in color yet. This will prevent burning.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 246
- Sugar: 16 g
- Sodium: 281 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 29 mg
Keywords: tart, pie, pastry, apple, caramel