This chicken vegetable soup is packed with good for you ingredients and uses cabbage instead of noodles. A big bowl full of healthy comfort food.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 and 1/2 cups tomatoes, cut into bite sized pieces OR drained, canned, diced tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock or bone broth
- 1/2 green cabbage, cored and sliced into ribbons
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chicken and saute until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside on a plate. Add the onions, carrots and celery to the pot and saute them for about 5-10 minutes, until they start to soften.
- Then, add the tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes to release the flavor.
- Pour the broth in and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover the pot with a lid, and reduce the heat to low.
- Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes before adding the cabbage ribbons. Stir them in well until they soften, and then remove the soup from the heat. This takes about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve and top with red pepper flakes if desired!
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 172
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 774 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 26 g
- Cholesterol: 60 mg
Keywords: chicken, chicken soup, vegetable, gluten free, low carb, dairy free