This is the best coconut cream pie EVER! Perfect coconut custard sets up inside flakey pie crust with tons of fresh whipped cream topping.
- 1 unbaked pie crust – here’s my recipe which makes 2 crusts* OR one pre-baked pie shell
- 15 oz. full fat, unsweetened coconut milk (one can)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch or cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2/3 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. vanilla, divided
- 8 oz. heavy whipping cream*
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- optional – larger, unsweetened coconut flakes for serving
- To pre-bake your pie crust, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Roll out your chilled pie dough out and place it into a standard, 9-inch pie plate. Trim and shape the crust edges as you please.
- Pierce the pie with a fork all over to let steam escape. To further prevent the crust from shrinking up on you, lay a piece of parchment down in the pie plate on top of the crust and weigh it down with pie weights, or dried beans or dried lentils.
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes with the weights, remove the weights and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the whole pie crust is golden brown. If your edges start to brown, use a pie shield or wrap the edges in foil.
- Remove the crust from the oven and let it cool while you prepare the filling.
- To make the filling, whisk together the coconut milk, sugar, starch, and egg yolks in a saucepan.
- Place the saucepan over medium-low heat and bring it to a slow boil, stirring continuously.
- After the mixture boils, remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, stir in the coconut and one teaspoon of the vanilla.
- Pour the filling into the baked pie shell and place it in the fridge to set up for at least 2 hours, or until cold.
- Once the pie has set, whip the heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and remaining vanilla and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Top the pie generously with the whipped cream. If desired, toast some larger coconut flakes and sprinkle on top of the pie before serving!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven/Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: coconut, coconut cream, pie