Maybe we should just call this one comfort food in a bowl. Slow Cooker Dairy-Free Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder – you have my heart.
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 6 small or 4 medium potatoes – diced
- 1 onion – diced
- 1, 10 oz package Stahlbush Island Farms Classic Mixed Vegetables
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. pepper, or to taste
- 4 cups or 1 quart of unsalted chicken stock
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca starch or arrowroot powder
- Optional – 1/2 lb. bacon, green onions
- Cube the chicken and place it at the bottom of a slow cooker turned to high.
- Dice the potatoes, onion, and carrots and lay on top of the chicken.
- Add the thyme, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Top everything with the chicken stock and let cook for 3.5 hours on high or 7 hours on low.
- After the chicken and vegetables have cooked for either 3.5 hours on high or 7 hours on low, mix the tapioca starch or arrowroot powder with the coconut milk. Pout into the slow cooker. Add the corn and mix everything well.
- Let this cook for an additional 1 – 1.5 hours with the lid off so the liquid can reduce a bit, or until thick. I
- Fry the bacon in a skillet and chop when crisp. Chop the green onions.
- When the soup is thick, spoon into bowls and top with bacon and green onions, if using. This keeps wonderfully for leftovers and can be frozen.
- If you don’t want to use frozen vegetables, just add 1 cup of diced carrots to the slow cooker, and when you add the coconut milk, also add 2 cups of frozen, fresh, or canned corn.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 499 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 28 mg
Keywords: soup, corn, chicken, slow cooker, crock pot, cream corn chowder