Looking for comfort in a bowl? This slow cooker dairy-free creamy chicken corn chowder is velvety smooth and leaves the MOST perfect sweet finish.
I absolutely believe in comfort food. There’s something about certain foods that just evoke memories and quite literally make you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside.
I remember the first time I had chicken corn chowder, at least I think I do. It was probably during the annual fair that the church I grew up attending holds. The entire congregation spends months preparing for a day filled with hayrides, fresh-cut french fries, enough pie to sink the Titanic, vintage cars, dunk tanks, face painting, games…I could go ON. My parents still manage the sausage sandwich booth which is among one of the food vendors for the day. I usually spend my time at the fair loading up on sausage sandwiches, chicken corn chowder, and ice cream. And more corn chowder.
What’s not to love? It’s velvety smooth, rich, savory and that bite of corn leaves the MOST perfect sweet finish. A few weeks ago, my aunt sent me this recipe, which happens to be a corn chowder she likes, but she wasn’t loving some of the ingredients. Her request – a healthier version, preferably made in the slow cooker for busy weeknights. I probably said yes much too enthusiastically. And here it is – my version of the church fair hug in a bowl – Slow Cooker Dairy-Free Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder.
Watch and see how I make this creamy chicken corn chowder!
LET’S GET TO IT!
Love comfort food made in the slow cooker? Me too! Try my tortilla soup or my paleo sloppy joes! They’re SO good!
Maybe we should just call this one comfort food in a bowl. Slow Cooker Dairy-Free Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder – you have my heart.
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 6 small or 4 medium potatoes – diced
- 1 onion – diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. pepper, or to taste
- 4 cups or 1 quart of unsalted chicken stock
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca starch or arrowroot powder
- 2 + 1/2 cups corn – fresh or frozen
- Optional – 1/2 lb. bacon, green onions
- Cube the chicken and place it at the bottom of a slow cooker turned to high.
- Dice the potatoes, onion, and carrots and lay on top of the chicken.
- Add the thyme, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Top everything with the chicken stock and let cook for 3.5 hours on high or 7 hours on low.
- After the chicken and vegetables have cooked for either 3.5 hours on high or 7 hours on low, mix the tapioca starch or arrowroot powder with the coconut milk. Pout into the slow cooker. Add the corn and mix everything well.
- Let this cook for an additional 1 – 1.5 hours with the lid off so the liquid can reduce a bit, or until thick. I
- Fry the bacon in a skillet and chop when crisp. Chop the green onions.
- When the soup is thick, spoon into bowls and top with bacon and green onions, if using. This keeps wonderfully for leftovers and can be frozen.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 499 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 28 mg
Keywords: soup, corn, chicken, slow cooker, crock pot, cream corn chowder
Let's Be Friends
Sign up to get the latest and be the first to know about recipes.