Looking for comfort in a bowl? This slow cooker dairy-free creamy chicken corn chowder is velvety smooth and leaves the MOST perfect sweet finish.
This post is sponsored by Stahlbush Island Farms. As always, all opinions remain my own and I am proud to partner with brands I love.
I absolutely believe in comfort food. There’s something about certain foods that just evoke memories and quite literally make you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside.
I remember the first time I had chicken corn chowder, at least I think I do. It was probably during the annual fair that the church I grew up attending holds. The entire congregation spends months preparing for a day filled with hayrides, fresh-cut french fries, enough pie to sink the Titanic, vintage cars, dunk tanks, face painting, games…I could go ON. My parents still manage the sausage sandwich booth which is among one of the food vendors for the day. I usually spend my time at the fair loading up on sausage sandwiches, chicken corn chowder, and ice cream. And more corn chowder.
What’s not to love? It’s velvety smooth, rich, savory and that bite of corn leaves the MOST perfect sweet finish. And it’s even easier because I use the Classic Veggie Blend from Stahlbush Island Farms, which is loaded with carrots, peas and CORN! Can I get a hell yes for less chopping? And here it is – my version of the church fair hug in a bowl – Slow Cooker Dairy-Free Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder.
Watch and see how I make this creamy chicken corn chowder!
How do you make this soup in a slow cooker?
That’s the best part of my chicken corn soup recipe – the slow cooker. All you have to do is dump the ingredients in and let it sit and simmer in the slow cooker all day.
If it isn’t as thick as you’d like, I like to take the lid off of the slow cooker and let it reduce down by letting some of the liquid evaporate into the air. I do this for about an hour, if needed. The potatoes help thicken things up, too. You won’t believe how tender they get!
And again, almost half the amount of chopping is involved because we’re using this frozen Classic Mixed Vegetable blend.
What makes this Chicken Corn Chowder dairy free?
Instead of using heavy cream (and flour) to make this soup thick and creamy, I use coconut milk (full fat from the can) and tapioca starch (or arrowroot powder). It works wonderfully! The starch from the potatoes also help to make this nice and rich, I’m telling you, you would never know this is a healthier recipe. Just make sure you add the bacon 🙂
Love comfort food made in the slow cooker? Me too! Try my tortilla soup or my paleo sloppy joes! They’re SO good!
Maybe we should just call this one comfort food in a bowl. Slow Cooker Dairy-Free Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder – you have my heart.
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 6 small or 4 medium potatoes – diced
- 1 onion – diced
- 1, 10 oz package Stahlbush Island Farms Classic Mixed Vegetables
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. pepper, or to taste
- 4 cups or 1 quart of unsalted chicken stock
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca starch or arrowroot powder
- Optional – 1/2 lb. bacon, green onions
- Cube the chicken and place it at the bottom of a slow cooker turned to high.
- Dice the potatoes, onion, and carrots and lay on top of the chicken.
- Add the thyme, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Top everything with the chicken stock and let cook for 3.5 hours on high or 7 hours on low.
- After the chicken and vegetables have cooked for either 3.5 hours on high or 7 hours on low, mix the tapioca starch or arrowroot powder with the coconut milk. Pout into the slow cooker. Add the corn and mix everything well.
- Let this cook for an additional 1 – 1.5 hours with the lid off so the liquid can reduce a bit, or until thick. I
- Fry the bacon in a skillet and chop when crisp. Chop the green onions.
- When the soup is thick, spoon into bowls and top with bacon and green onions, if using. This keeps wonderfully for leftovers and can be frozen.
- If you don’t want to use frozen vegetables, just add 1 cup of diced carrots to the slow cooker, and when you add the coconut milk, also add 2 cups of frozen, fresh, or canned corn.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 499 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 28 mg
Keywords: soup, corn, chicken, slow cooker, crock pot, cream corn chowder
Let's Be Friends
Sign up to get the latest and be the first to know about recipes.