Easy and delicious, gluten-free crumb topping is piled on top of a juicy berry filling. Make it with fresh or frozen berries.
- 4 heaping cups fresh or frozen berries – any variety you like (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc)
- 1 and 1/4 cups coconut sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp. OR 1/4 cup arrowroot powder (or tapioca or corn starch) – use 2 Tbsp. for fresh, 1/4 cup for frozen berries
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375F and lightly grease an 8×8 inch baking dish. If you don’t have an 8×8, try a deeper pie plate or round cake pan.
- Mix together the berries, 1/2 cup of the coconut sugar, arrowroot powder, and lemon juice. If you’re using frozen berries, you don’t need to thaw them, just use the frozen berry. Pour the berry filling into the baking dish.
- In another bowl, add the remaining 3/4 cup of coconut sugar, almond flour, rolled oats, chopped pecans, melted butter and sea salt.
- Using your fingers or a fork, combine the crumble ingredients until pea sized clumps form. Pour the topping on top of the berries and press down a bit.
- Slide the crisp into the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling up around the sides of the dish.
- Allow the crisp to cool on the counter before serving. Best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream.