A step by step tutorial on How to Make the Best Pie Dough with photos, troubleshooting and more.
- 3 cups of all purpose
- 1 cup of cold, unsalted butter*
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 6–8 tbsp of ice cold water*
- Place the butter in the freezer 5 mins before using.
- Fill a glass or bowl with ice water. Let chill.
- Measure out dry ingredients. Mix.
- Cube butter. Add it to dry mixture.
- Incorporate with a food processor, pastry cutter or fork until pea-sized crumbs form.
- Add water 1 tbsp at a time until dough pulls together.
- Divide the dough in half. Wrap each half in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 20 mins.
- Let dough come to room temp, roll out.
- Lay crust into pie plate.
- Refrigerate again.
- For recipes that call for a cooked pie shell ONLY: bake for 20-25 mins at 375 degrees, with pie weights, rice or beans inside so it doesn’t puff up.
- can sub ghee or coconut oil for the butter. measure it first, and then place in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes to harden.
- can also sub buttermilk for the water.
- You need at least a 7 cup food processor for this to work in a food processor.