These mini coconut cream pies are as adorable as they are delicious. You won’t believe how easy it is to make the mini crusts and the luscious filling.
- 1 unbaked pie crust – here’s my recipe which makes 2 crusts*
- 15 oz. full fat, unsweetened coconut milk ( one can)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch or cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2/3 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. vanilla, divided
- 8 oz. heavy whipping cream*
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- about 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- about 36 egg-shaped jelly beans or chocolates
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Roll out your chilled pie crust to a 1/4 inch thick sheet on a piece of parchment paper.
- Using a biscuit cutter, circular cookie cutter or the rim of a wide glass, cut 12 circles out of the dough.
- Flip a muffin tin so that the underside is facing up. Flour the muffin tin.
- Place a dough circle over each muffin cup and shape the dough around the cup so that a mini crust is formed. You may need to stretch the dough a little.
- Once all of the crusts are molded on the muffin tin, pierce each of the pieces of dough with a fork to let steam escape so they don’t shrivel up.
- Place the muffin tin in the oven, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tin from the oven, and press a baking sheet on top of the muffin tin to create a flat surface on the bottom of the crusts. Remove the crusts from the tin, and place them on a baking sheet right side up.
- Bake for an additional 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Let the crusts cool while you prepare the filling.
- To make the filling, whisk together the coconut milk, sugar, starch, and egg yolks in a large saucepan.
- Place the saucepan over medium-low heat and bring it to a slow boil, stirring continuously.
- After 1 minute of boiling time, remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, stir in the coconut and one teaspoon of the vanilla.
- Pour the filling contents evenly between each of the mini pie crusts and place them in the fridge to set up for at least 2 hours, or until cold.
- Once the pies have set, whip the heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and remaining vanilla and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Evenly top all of the pies generously with the whipped cream and sprinkle on the coconut. If desired, top with the mini eggs and serve!
- if you have mini pie or tart pans, feel free to use them and follow the directions exactly!
- For an easy dairy-free version, make whipped coconut cream. I like this recipe
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 mini pie
- Calories: 376
- Sugar: 19 g
- Sodium: 165 mg
- Fat: 27 g
- Saturated Fat: 14 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 100 mg
Keywords: pie, coconut, spring, easter, dessert