This easy, fresh strawberry pie recipe is loaded with fresh berries and uses just one crust. It’s baked to perfection with a thick layer of the berry filling.
- 1 unbaked pie crust – here’s my recipe! My recipe makes 2 crust so you can either halve the recipe or make the full thing and save the other half for another pie.
- 6 heaping cups sliced and de-stemmed strawberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar (or 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup honey for less sugar)
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch (or arrowroot powder or cornstarch)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- fresh whipped cream (or vanilla ice cream) for serving
- Start by making your crust if you’re using homemade. Once the crust has been made and has had time to rest in the fridge, roll it out and place it in a 9-inch pie plate*. Trim and press the edges as desired.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Add the sliced strawberries, sugar, tapioca starch, and lemon juice to a bowl and mix well.
- Pour the strawberry filling into the pie plate and set the plate on a rimmed baking sheet. The filling will bubble over during baking and you don’t want it all over the oven. The baking sheet will catch the excess.
- Slide the pie in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 25 minutes at 425F.
- Turn the oven down to 350F and bake for an additional 45-60 minutes (this greatly depends on your oven and pie plate), or until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown*.
- Remove the pie from the oven on the baking sheet and allow it to cool completely to room temperature before serving. This makes sure the filling sets.
- Before serving, cover the pie with fresh whipped cream and serve!
- a deep-dish pie plate will work, as will an 8 or 10-inch pie plate if you don’t have a standard 9. You just may have a little less or leftover filling and will need to adjust the cook time accordingly. However, I always use a 9-inch.
- If your crust starts to brown too much on the edges, cover the edges with foil or use a pie crust protector shield.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 small slice with whipped cream (1/12 of the pie)
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 23 g
- Sodium: 107 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 10 mg
Keywords: pie, strawberry, baking, pastry