- 1 + 1/2 cups softened butter ( 3 sticks)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 + 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted and divided
- 2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- crushed peppermint candies
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Melt 1/3 cup of the chocolate chips. Add that melted chocolate and peppermint extract and whip until combined.
- Sift in the flour, and cocoa powder. Mix until just combined and the dough pulls into a ball.
- Shape the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic, and let it chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. If you’re going to wait more than 2 days before making the cookies, freeze the dough here and defrost when you’re ready to bake.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Roll out the dough between 2 pieces of plastic wrap – this allows you to not use flour and discolor the cookies.
- Using a round cookie/biscuit cutter or a glass, cut circles out of the dough.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- While the cookies bake, melt the remaining chocolate.
- Dip the cooled cookies in the chocolate and immediately top with crushed peppermint.
- Allow them to set for about 10 minutes in the fridge before serving!