These Triple Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Cookies are simple to make, festive and really chocolatey. They’re the perfect Christmas cookie.
Christmas is right around the corner…and you didn’t think I’d let the season pass without sharing a cookie recipe, did you?
These bad boys are basically Christmas in cookie form. Rich, buttery & chocolatey + peppermint flavored shortbread dipped in thick chocolate & covered in crushed peppermint. And they’re simple to make ahead, the dough is super forgiving for making multiple batches…you may need to just double the recipe becuase these bad boys go fast!
These cookies use traditional butter and flour, but you should check out my free Healthy Holiday Cookie Cookbook!
To make them you just start by creaming the butter, sugar, and melted chocolate. Then go on by sifting in the dry ingredients so they stay nice and delicate. These have melted chocolate and cocoa powder in them. With the chocolate dip, they’re triple chocolate heaven.
Once the dough comes together and rests for a bit, roll it out between some plastic wrap and cut out circles.
Dip, and you’re done!
I teamed up with some of my favorite blogger pals to share some cookie + cocktails! We’ve got:
Cardamom Palmiers from Karlee with Olive and Artisan
smoky spiked coconut chai tea latte from Jess with plays well with butter
Triple Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Cookies
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 57 minutes
- Yield: about 3 dozen 1x
- 1 + 1/2 cups softened butter ( 3 sticks)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 + 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted and divided
- 2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- crushed peppermint candies
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Melt 1/3 cup of the chocolate chips. Add that melted chocolate and peppermint extract and whip until combined.
- Sift in the flour, and cocoa powder. Mix until just combined and the dough pulls into a ball.
- Shape the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic, and let it chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. If you’re going to wait more than 2 days before making the cookies, freeze the dough here and defrost when you’re ready to bake.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Roll out the dough between 2 pieces of plastic wrap – this allows you to not use flour and discolor the cookies.
- Using a round cookie/biscuit cutter or a glass, cut circles out of the dough.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- While the cookies bake, melt the remaining chocolate.
- Dip the cooled cookies in the chocolate and immediately top with crushed peppermint.
- Allow them to set for about 10 minutes in the fridge before serving!