This Whole30 Bison Sweet Potato Hash is the best better for you hash on the planet. It has crispy sweet potatoes and veggies, lean bison and the perfect blend of spices.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground bison meat (or turkey or beef or venison)
- 1 Tbsp. ghee (or butter if not Whole30)
- 5 cups diced sweet potato (about 3 large)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- optional – 1 pinch cayenne
- optional – 4 fried eggs
- cilantro for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Brown the bison meat, about 8 minutes, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Dice the sweet potatoes
- Heat the butter in the same skillet over medium.
- Add the sweet potatoes and water to the pan, cover for 5-6 minutes until the water evaporates, stirring occasionally.
- Dice the onion and peppers and add them cooking for 3-4 minutes before adding the spices and seasoning. Cook for 1-2 more minutes before adding the bison back to the pan.
- Remove from the heat, and mix together well. Pour the contents of the pan out on a baking sheet in an even layer.
- Preheat the oven to high broil.
- Broil in the oven for about 5 minutes, checking frequently to make sure it doesn’t burn. Remove when the edges are crispy, but not burnt.
- While the hash broils, fry the eggs.
- Serve a scoop of hash with an egg, if desired, and a sprinkle of cilantro.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 cup of hash (no egg)
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 4
- Sodium: 100
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 17
- Protein: 17