Delicious Buttermilk Cheesecake Pie bakes up like a rich cheesecake in pie crust with Sugared Cranberries to top it off with tartness and festivity.
For the pie:
- 1 par-baked pie crust – here’s my recipe. You’ll only need 1/2 of my crust recipe for this. (directions on par-baking below)*
- 12 oz. Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
For the sugared cranberries:
- about 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 + 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out your pie dough on a floured surface and place into pie plate. Trim and crimp the edges as desired.
- Using a fork, pierce holes in the bottom of the raw crust to let air escape when par-baking pie. Line the inside of the pie crust with pie weights, beans or rice, as pictured in the post. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the weights and bake for 10 additional minutes.
- While the crust bakes, make the filling and boil about 5 cups of water on the stove. We’ll use the water to make the oven a “steam room” so the cheesecake filling bakes evenly, it won’t go into the pie.
- Beat together the cream cheese, buttermilk, sugar, and arrowroot powder well.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the lemon juice, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg. Beat well.
- When the crust finishes baking, pour the filling into the pie.
- Place a casserole dish, any size large enough to hold the water works, on the lowest rack of the oven. Pour the water into the dish.
- Place the pie on the middle rack of the oven. Refer to the picture to see. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the pie is just set. Don’t over bake!
- Allow the pie to cool on the counter for 1 hour and in the fridge for 3 hours before serving.
- About an hour before serving, make the sugared cranberries.
- Add 1/2 cup of the sugar and the water to a large saucepan.
- Dissolve the sugar, remove from the heat, and add the cranberries, tossing them around. Allow them to steep for 10 minutes in the sugar water.
- Place the rest of the sugar in a bowl, and roll each cranberry in the bowl to cover with sugar.
- Let the cranberries sit for about an hour on the counter before topping the pie with them.
- Slice and serve!
- it would be a great idea to bake this the night before and let it chill overnight!
- if you want to skip the cranberries top with anything from fresh fruit, pie filling, whipped cream or compote!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 456
- Sugar: 40 g
- Sodium: 489 mg
- Fat: 23 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 61 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 118 mg