Delicious Buttermilk Cheesecake Pie bakes up like a rich cheesecake in
pie crust with Sugared Cranberries to top it off with tartness and festivity.
Oh man oh man, where do I begin with this pie? I mean this beauty was really the product of my Instagram people choosing the pie of the month. There were a bunch of requests for cream pies, things with cranberry…and one golden request for a buttermilk pie. So folks, here we have it! Buttermilk Cheesecake Pie with Sugared Cranberries. I think we hit every request…and even added a cheesecake spin in there.
This pie is really similar to a cheesecake, but there’s just some crust in there, too! I think it’s easier than using a springform pan to bake a full-fledged cheesecake. To create a water bath, I just put a casserole dish full of hot water in my oven when I bake it to make sure the top doesn’t crack. I used Philadelphia Cream Cheese in here because the quality is top notch and I love how rich the cream cheese makes the pie feel, this is totally the decadent dessert you need to include with your Holiday spread.
You’re going to want to
As the pie cools, you’ll want to make the sugared cranberries, and then when the pie is set and the cranberries are dry, top the pie and serve! Just a note, the cranberries only stay set for about 4-5 hours, so you’ll want to serve this to a large crowd so it’s eaten right away, or pick them off and make more later.
Want more pie recipes? I made you a huge post with all of my favorite pie recipes on Miss AK!Print
Buttermilk Cheesecake Pie with Sugared Cranberries
Delicious Buttermilk Cheesecake Pie bakes up like a rich cheesecake in pie crust with Sugared Cranberries to top it off with tartness and festivity.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes + 4 hour cool time
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
For the pie:
- 1 par-baked pie crust – here’s my recipe. You’ll only need 1/2 of my crust recipe for this. (directions on par-baking below)*
- 12 oz. Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
For the sugared cranberries:
- about 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 + 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out your pie dough on a floured surface and place into pie plate. Trim and crimp the edges as desired.
- Using a fork, pierce holes in the bottom of the raw crust to let air escape when par-baking pie. Line the inside of the pie crust with pie weights, beans or rice, as pictured in the post. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the weights and bake for 10 additional minutes.
- While the crust bakes, make the filling and boil about 5 cups of water on the stove. We’ll use the water to make the oven a “steam room” so the cheesecake filling bakes evenly, it won’t go into the pie.
- Beat together the cream cheese, buttermilk, sugar, and arrowroot powder well.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the lemon juice, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg. Beat well.
- When the crust finishes baking, pour the filling into the pie.
- Place a casserole dish, any size large enough to hold the water works, on the lowest rack of the oven. Pour the water into the dish.
- Place the pie on the middle rack of the oven. Refer to the picture to see. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the pie is just set. Don’t over bake!
- Allow the pie to cool on the counter for 1 hour and in the fridge for 3 hours before serving.
- About an hour before serving, make the sugared cranberries.
- Add 1/2 cup of the sugar and the water to a large saucepan.
- Dissolve the sugar, remove from the heat, and add the cranberries, tossing them around. Allow them to steep for 10 minutes in the sugar water.
- Place the rest of the sugar in a bowl, and roll each cranberry in the bowl to cover with sugar.
- Let the cranberries sit for about an hour on the counter before topping the pie with them.
- Slice and serve!
- it would be a great idea to bake this the night before and let it chill overnight!
- if you want to skip the cranberries top with anything from fresh fruit, pie filling, whipped cream or compote!
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 456
- Sugar: 40 g
- Sodium: 489 mg
- Fat: 23 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 61 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 118 mg