Rich and tender Easy Instant Pot Venison Stew comes together quickly for the perfect rustic, comforting dinner to use up your harvest in the freezer.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. venison, diced with all sinew removed – I used leg meat*
- 2 tsp. herbs de Provence
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups diced potatoes, I left the skin on
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15 0z. can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups unsalted beef stock or venison stock
- 3–4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Dice the potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Mince the garlic. Set aside in a bowl.
- Dice the venison into bite-sized chunks, being sure to remove any of the silvery sinew tissue. Leaving this on makes the meat tough.
- Add the olive oil to the base of the Instant Pot and add the cubed venison. Add the spices and seasoning.
- Turn the Instant Pot to “Saute” for 10 minutes.
- Allow the venison to saute for 5 minutes and add the bowl of vegetables. Saute until the cycle ends with the lid off.
- Add the tomatoes, broth and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well and secure the lid.
- Select “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” on high pressure and adjust the time to 30 minutes. Allow the Instant Pot to do its thang. Go pour some wine, do your nails, whatever.
- When the cycle finishes, allow it to naturally release for 10 minutes before turning the knob to venting according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Allow the Instant Pot to vent fully, remove the lid and serve!
- beef would work well, too! You can use any cut of venison, backstrap would be lovely. Leg meat is tough, so this recipe helps it to be tender and delish!
- If you want to make this in the slow cooker, saute the venison in a pan and add it to the slow cooker with all of the other ingredients. Let it cook for 4-5 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- herbs de Provence is a French spice blend. It’s lovely and Wal Mart actually has a great organic variety for under $3. If you have to substitute, use Italian seasoning.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes + heating and release time