Orange Cranberry Quinoa Salad – a bright & summery side you can create all year long
It’s true, our beautiful summer is coming to an end. Don’t hate me, I’m just stating the facts here. OK, you’ve got me I’m a fall fanatic, so I’m really not that sad, but I do find myself craving the light and fresh flavors of summer all year long.
This orange cranberry quinoa salad is unbelievably refreshing but is made with ingredients that are available (and economical to buy) at your local grocery stores year round.
Plain quinoa can be admittedly boring. So today we’re hitting it with a double dose of tangy oranges, sweetening with those little cranberries, packing some serious crunch with walnuts and rounding it out with the sharp bite of green onion.
After tossing together all of our “dry ingredients” we’ll finish the salad with a drizzle of my citrus vinaigrette which you’ll probably want to use again and again and again!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
A jar or container with a tight-fitting lid (to make your vinaigrette)
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Start by cooking the quinoa according to the directions on the package. While that cooks, zest and juice your orange & juice the lemon. Add the juice, zest, olive oil, mustard, salt, and pepper into the glass jar & shake! Boom, dressing done.
Peel your other orange and dice the segments. Chop the green onion and give your walnuts a rough chop, too if they’re whole. When the quinoa is cooked and slightly cool add it to a large bowl with the diced orange, cranberries, walnuts and green onion.
Mix these together and drizzle the entire bowl of goodness with your citrus vinaigrette. You’ll have plenty of dressing left over and it tastes fantsatic over any salad and makes a great chicken marinade! Store it in the fridge until you use it up!
I like this served alone as a side, atop a bed of lettuce, or topped with a grilled chicken breast.
This also works great for entertaining and picnics because it is EASILY doubled and transported by bowl & it tastes great warm or chilled (just like a glass of Sauvignon Blanc that just may be its perfect partner)
Cheers…I mean Bon Appetite y’all!
- FOR THE SALAD
- 2 cups of cooked Quinoa (1 dry cup)
- 1 Orange – diced
- 1/2 cup of Cranberries
- 1/2 cup of Walnuts
- 1/4 -1/2 cup of chopped Green Onions
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE (You’ll only need 4-5 tbsp of this for the recipe)
- 1/4 cup of Olive Oil
- 1 tsp of Orange zest
- The juice of one orange
- The juice of one lemon
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp of Dijon Mustard (start with 1/4, taste and see if you want more)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper (or to taste)
- Start by cooking the quinoa according to the directions on the package.
- Zest and juice your orange & juice the lemon.
- Add the juice, zest, olive oil, mustard, salt, and pepper into the glass jar & shake!
- Peel your other orange and dice the segments.
- Chop the green onion and give your walnuts a rough chop, too if they’re whole.
- When the quinoa is cooked and slightly cool add it to a large bowl with the diced orange, cranberries, walnuts and green onion.
- Mix these together and drizzle the entire bowl of goodness with your 4-5 tbsp of the citrus vinaigrette.
DON’T FORGET TO PIN FOR LATER: