A classic banana cream pie recipe with a gluten-free crust, velvety banana cream pie filling, and a dairy-free whipped topping option.
Whenever I see banana cream pie on a menu, I just HAVE to have it. But it’s something I always forget to make at home. Until now!
I keep a running list of recipes I think of, or you suggest, and luckily I remembered to include banana cream pie in the mix. When I polled a few weeks ago on Instagram stories, the majority of people said they preferred healthier recipes to the classic version.
So, I give you this healthier banana cream pie!
What makes this recipe healthier?
- We’re using a really delicious, gluten-free crust that’s made from mainly almond flour, with a little bit of coconut flour and coconut sugar in there for flavor and stabilization. It sticks together and makes a crust from the use of an egg! I promise the nutty flavor is perfect with the banana.
- The filling is just made of coconut milk, coconut sugar, some eggs, a bit of arrowroot for thickness and I like to add mashed banana to the filling…more flavor! All hail the coconut!
- I’m not dairy-free, so I use heavy whipping cream in the topping, but you can always make coconut whipped cream and use that instead. I like this recipe.
And there you have it! Easy swaps, no complicated steps, and a healthier pie!
Love this banana cream pie recipe and want more ideas? Join my email list, I’m always sending out the latest news!
Let's Be Friends
Sign up to get the latest and be the first to know about recipes.
Healthier Banana Cream Pie
A classic banana cream pie recipe with gluten free crust, velvety banana cream pie filling and a dairy free whipped topping option.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes + 4 hours cooling time
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 43 minutes + 4 hours cooling time
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
For the crust:
- 1 and 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 10 Tbsp. melted, grass fed butter or coconut oil
For the banana cream filling:
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk (the canned kind)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 Tbsp. grass fed butter or coconut oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
For the whipped cream topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (or 15 oz. coconut cream for dairy free)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 banana, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Then, add all of the crust ingredients to a large bowl and mix together well. The mixture should stick together but feel moist.
- Press the crust into a 9 inch pie plate or tart pan (I think a tart pan is easier). Pierce a few holes into the crust with a fork and slide it into the oven.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown. Let the crust cool a bit on a wire rack while you assemble the filling.
- In a large, thick-bottomed pot, add the coconut milk, coconut sugar, egg yolks, and cornstarch. Whisk together and set the pot over medium-low heat.
- Stir the filling constantly and remove it from the heat as soon as it starts to thicken and bubble. This happens in about 4-8 minutes, so really watch the pot.
- Once the pot is removed from the heat, stir in the mashed banana, butter or coconut oil, sea salt and vanilla.
- To assemble the pie, lay the banana slices from the second banana on the bottom of the pre-baked pie shell. Then, pour the filling over top.
- Wrap the pie in plastic wrap and slide it into the fridge to cool for at least 4 hours.
- When you’re ready to serve, whip together the cream, powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream all over the pie and top with the remaining banana slices. Serve!
Keywords: pie, banana cream pie, healthy baking