These easy chicken fajita bowls are a cinch to make. Chicken with peppers, onions, and fajita seasoning piled over rice with all the toppings.
I want to be really honest with you guys about my diet the past few months. It’s looked a little different than it has in the past, being pregnant. Unfortunately, most of my food aversions didn’t really go away after my first trimester ended, but these Chicken Fajita Bowls ALWAYS sound good.
This is what dinner has looked like a LEAST one night of the week. I’m still not wanting beef or pork, which is new for me. Most wild game is OK, surprisingly, but it has to be done right. Really, eating whole pieces of meat (like any steak) weirds me out.
Fortunately for me, veggies and fruit are fine, but the fast meals I used to make of roasted veggies and whatever protein we had on hand just sounds unappetizing. That used to be dinner like 2x a week, honestly. Just because I’m a food blogger doesn’t always mean we’re going gourmet.
The foods that ALWAYS sound good are pizza and Mexican food (I think my husband might be turning into some sort of taco 😬)
These chicken fajita bowls are GREAT because I can pack in some veggies and protein, and then entice myself with sour cream, salsa, tortilla chips, lime, and rice, haha. They’re fast, easy, customizable – everything a weeknight meal should be.
I know you’re going to love them and make them as much as I do. Say hello to your new weeknight staple recipe!
How do you make Chicken Fajitas?
Chicken fajitas are so easy. You don’t have to only order them when you’re out to eat and they bring you that sizzling skillet and all the toppings. It’s fast to do at home. All you need are:
- Olive oil
- Chicken breast (or any meat, really)
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Lime Juice
The onions, peppers and chicken get cooked in a skillet in the olive oil. You add all of the seasonings and spices, and then when everything is cooked, you drizzle on some lime juice. It’s fast and so tasty.
You can serve them in tortillas with any toppings you like, but I like them in a fajita bowl so I can add more healthy ingredients.
How do you serve them in a bowl?
Super simple. While you’re cooking your fajita mixture, make some rice. I like whole grain, brown rice, but any kind will do. When the fajita mixture is done, add the rice and some lettuce to a bowl, go in with the fajita mixture and all of your favorite toppings. We like salsa, sour cream, more lime juice, and crushed tortilla chips. Voila!Print
These easy chicken fajita bowls are a cinch to make. Chicken thighs with peppers, onions, and fajita seasoning piled over rice with all the toppings.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced (I used red and yellow)
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cut into strips
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 cups cooked rice (I use long grain, brown)
- 4 cups chopped lettuce (I like romaine)
- sour cream
- crushed tortilla chips
- guac…whatever you want!
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions and peppers and saute until they soften, about 4-5 minutes.
- Then, add the chicken and cook for about 8 minutes, until it’s totally cooked through.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2 additional minutes, stirring frequently, to coat the chicken and veggies. Remove the skillet from the heat, and squeeze on the lime juice.
- To build the burrito bowls, add about 1/2 cup of rice and 1 cup of lettuce to a bowl for each person*. Add in some of the fajita mixture and then top with desired toppings. Serve!
- To prep this ahead of time, avoid adding the lettuce until you’re ready to eat so it doesn’t get soggy. When you’re ready to eat, add the lettuce and toppings!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican American
Keywords: fajita, fajita bowl, dinner, chicken