Fresh, juicy peaches are wrapped in flaky pastry in this easy Peach Galette recipe. It’s simple and easier than pie for a summer dessert!
There is nothing better than biting into a fresh, summer peach. This peach galette is a celebration of those beautiful fruits and I just can’t get enough of it.
I just adore pie. You guys TOTALLY know this by now. It’s my favorite dessert to make, but I know that everyone doesn’t feel the same way. But, making a galette (especially this peach galette) is a great way to get all of the flavors of a galette without the hassle of a pie plate.
What is a galette?
A galette basically is a pie without the pie plate. To make one, you roll pie dough out into a circle. Then, you place filling in the middle – galettes typically work best with fruit or something with substance because there are not edges to catch filling.
Then, when the filling is spooned in the middle of the dough, you fold the edges around the filling and it makes a large, danish-looking thing that you bake and serve in wedges.
It’s great because you don’t have to worry about transferring pie dough to a plate once it’s rolled and you don’t have to crimp the edges or do a fancy topper!
I 100% recommend this peach galette for beginners!
What’s in peach galette filling?
The filling for a fantastic peach galette couldn’t be more simple. It’s really the same as peach pie, you’ll just need a little less filling because you don’t have a big dish to fill. Here’s what you need:
- Pie crust – here’s my recipe!
- Fresh, ripe peaches
- Tapioca starch or arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- Lemon juice
- Heavy cream & coarse sugar for the crust are optional
How do you fold a galette?
The one thing I always tell people to keep in mind with galettes is that rustic is best. Don’t worry if you have a crack here and there and if the crust isn’t perfectly even. Oh and if you’ve never made pie dough before, here’s a video tutorial. This recipe uses the same curst, except we’re not using the sugar and we’re adding Italian seasoning.
To fold it in, push up on a small piece of pastry dough, and then fold another piece over it, kind of diagonally. Repeat until all of the crust is folded in around the tomatoes.
Digging galettes? Try my Savory Tomato Galette next, it’s to die for!Print
Fresh, juicy peaches are wrapped in flaky pastry in this easy Peach Galette recipe. It’s simple and easier than pie for a summer dessert.
- 1 unbaked pie crust – here’s my recipe
- about 4–5 ripe peaches, cored and thinly sliced (4 medium-large, 5 small)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut or brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. arrowroot powder or tapioca starch (or cornstarch)
- juice of one lemon
- To finish the crust (optional): 2 Tbsp. heavy cream and 1 Tbsp. coarse sugar
- If you’re making a homemade pie crust, start by making that. If you’re using my recipe, you only need to make 1/2 of it, or you can make the full recipe and save the other half for later!
- Once your pie crust has chilled for at least 20-30 minutes, begin to make the filling.
- Core and slice the peaches. Add them to a bowl with the granulated sugar, coconut sugar, arrowroot, and lemon juice. Stir well and set the bowl aside.
- Preheat the oven to 4ooF. Line a large cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Roll out the pie crust on the parchment paper or Silpat (with it staying on the cookie sheet, this makes things easier) into about a 13in circle.
- Spoon the peach mixture in the middle of the crust leaving about 1+1/2 inches of room for the crust around the edges.
- Fold the edges up around the filling and slide the galette onto a baking sheet.
- Brush the crust with the cream and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Place in the oven for 30-40 minutes and bake until golden and bubbly.
- Allow the galette to cool fully (you can leave it on the cookie sheet) so the filling has time to gel together. Cut with a knife or pizza cutter when you want to serve!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 215
- Sugar: 19 g
- Sodium: 133 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 5 mg
Keywords: peach, galette